These documents must be filled out in order to document progress through the program. They appear in the order in which they are typically required.
PDF files require Adobe Reader. Download Adobe Reader.
Doc files require Microsoft Word
- PhD Degree Requirements (.pdf)
Outline of courses required for the degree.
- PhD Stages to Completion (.pdf)
Guideline for what needs to be accomplished and when.
- PhD Degree Audit (.pdf)
The degree audit should be completed when you are in the final stages of your course work, just prior to embarking on your Master’s Thesis/Project/Research Paper or prior to preparing for PhD qualifying examinations. The degree audit is very similar to the annual progress report. It is a way of confirming that you have indeed completed all the degree requirements–or received a waiver–and that we are all in agreement about your record. Please make sure that you fill in all sections–course number, session taken, title, course director, etc…and jot down any relevant notes.
Qualifying Examination Forms and Regulations
- Request for PhD Constructed Minor (.pdf)
Use this form if you wish to have a minor in an area outside the 3 fields normally offered by the program.
- Request for PhD Qualifying Examination (.pdf)
This request must be filed with the program office four weeks prior to the date of the qualifying exam.
- PhD Qualifying Examination Regulations
- PhD Best Practices for Qualifying Examination
- Qualifying Examination Question Bank (.pdf)
- PhD Qualifying Examination Bibliography (.doc)
A resource for preparing for your comprehensive exams.
PhD Dissertation & Defense
- PhD Dissertation Regulations and Proposal Form (.pdf)
- DEFENSE TIMELINE – PhD (.pdf)
A countdown starting four months prior to the projected defense date.
- COMPOSITION of Examining Committees (.pdf)
Example of how a defense examining committee might be composed.
PhD Student Progress Report
Each student is required to complete an Annual Progress Report [APR] at the end of each winter term, until all course work requirements are completed. This report is used for advising purposes to ensure you are on track for your particular programme of study. Students will not be able to register for the summer term until an APR has been received.
- PhD Course Selections (.pdf)
Each student is required to complete an Annual Progress Report [APR]at the end of each winter term, until all course work requirements are completed. This report is used for advising purposes to ensure you are on track for your particular programme of study. Students will not be able to register for the summer term until an APR has been received.
- PhD Progress Report (.pdf)
General Course & Program Administration
These documents are used to initiate requests for various kinds.
- Directed Readings Proposal Form (.pdf)
A Directed Readings course is intended to provide the student with the opportunity to review critically a body of literature and to prepare an annotated bibliography, reading log, or critical review essay or essays.
- Directed Research Proposal Form (.pdf)
A Directed Research course involves the preparation of a substantial research paper, normally involving at least some use of primary materials (archival collections, media analysis, secondary analysis of polls, focus groups, interviews, participant observations, etc).
- Directed Group Study Proposal Form (.pdf)
Under this heading, a group of students, with the agreement of a faculty member, may organize a seminar in an area not covered in the course offerings. The faculty member acts as a monitor, helping students develop a bibiography and facilitate discussions, but does not act as an instrutor. As the title suggests, students are expected to study as a group, taking the initiative in course participation and seminar presentations. The faculty member will grade presentations and written work.
- Ryerson OVGS Hybrid Form (.pdf)
For York Com Cult students who wish to take a course in another graduate program at Ryerson.
- Course Substitution Form (.pdf)
Use this form if you are requesting a course substitution or course waiver.
- Information Regarding Incomplete Grades (.pdf)
Grades must be reported within a couple of weeks of the start of a new term for courses which ended the term before. For Communication & Culture students at both Ryerson and York these deadlines are:
- January 15 for a fall term course;
- May 15 or a winter term course or a fall-winter course; and
- September 15 for a summer course
Important: Please download the above file to view detailed information about incomplete grades. If you still have questions after viewing this information, please contact the program administrator directly.
- Incomplete Grade Request Form: Level One (.pdf)
The first level is to request course work extension from the course director and submit the form to the Program Director.
- Extension on Incomplete Deadline Request Form: Level Two
If you are unable to meet the deadline set out in your first request for extension to course work completion, you are required to submit a Course Transaction Form found on the FGS website.
Links & Other Resources
Further information and resources relating to graduate research at York.
- Human Participants Research Procedures
Human Participants Research Procedures must be adhered to for all courses, projects, theses and dissertations. A complete listing of the York University policies can be found on the FGS website.
- Tuition/ Fees Refund Schedule
Find the refund table on the web site of the Office of Student Finances.
- Instructions for Obtaining Ryerson Student Status (for York Com Cult Students only) (.pdf)