Named in honour of Dr. Mary McEwan, a feminist psychiatrist, this annual award of $1,000.00 will be awarded to one PhD dissertation produced in 2018-19 at York University in the area of feminist scholarship. An Awards Committee of faculty affiliated with the Centre will choose the winners.
If you have dissertations that were recommended for awards in 2018-19 (dissertations defended between September 1, 2018 and August 31, 2019 are eligible), please consider putting them forward for this award. The submission deadline is Monday, November 25, 2019
CRITERIA OF ELIGIBILITY
- Must be a graduate student who has successfully defended a dissertation during the 2018-19 academic year.
- The nominee's dissertation must concern feminist theory and/or gender issues.
- The examining committee for the dissertation must unanimously recommend it for an award.
PROCEDURE FOR NOMINATION
Each nomination must include:
- A copy of the dissertation and no more than a one-page statement from the nominee about the contribution the dissertation makes to feminist scholarship.
- A letter of recommendation from the student's Supervisor commenting on the nominee's dissertation or thesis.
- A statement from the Graduate Program Director noting that the nominee's dissertation was recommended as one that should be considered for a prize.
- A copy of the external examiner’s report.
PROCEDURE FOR SUBMISSION
Nominations must be received by Julia Pyryeskina, Coordinator, Centre for Feminist Research, 611 York Research Tower no later than Monday, November 25, 2019.
Submissions and questions can be made via email to email@example.com.